The anticipated worldwide summer sales event is sneaking up fast.
For those who don’t know—and I imagine there aren’t many of you—Amazon Prime Day is Cyber Monday meets Black Friday meets Boxing Day in July. But on Prime Day, you don’t need to fight your way through throngs at the mall. If you’re a Prime member, all you have to do is watch for advance alerts of discounts on popular products, order online and wait for free shipping to bring your treasures home. Here’s a brief primer on what to expect.
When Is Prime Day 2018?
- 2018: July 16, 3 p.m ET (Monday), with sales lasting for 36 hours through July 17
- 2017: July 11 (Tuesday)
- 2016: July 12 (Tuesday)
Exclusive to Prime Members—and so Worth It
This annual blockbuster event is designed to boost, promote and celebrate Amazon’s Prime subscription service ($119 per year). If you’re not already a member, sign up for a free 30-day trial and enjoy access to members-only sales prices with the rest of the subscribers. Rather than cancel your subscription after Prime Day, our advice is to stick around for the free two-day shipping, music and movie services and early access to regular flash sales and lightning deals. #WorthIt
For students, an Amazon Prime free trial is six months long. After that, the student membership will automatically upgrade to Amazon Prime for 50% off the regular subscription cost ($59).
If you have a Prime membership, share your benefits with an adult or teen in your household at no additional cost. Here’s how.
What Prime Day Deals Do We Expect for 2018?
Predicting Prime Day deals isn’t an easy task, but we can safely assume that Amazon will slash prices on its own devices, such as Echo, Alexa, Kindles and Fire tablets. We also wouldn’t be surprised to see sales on the Fire TV, Cloud Cam and Blink.
Fun fact(s): According to Amazon, the most-purchased item on Prime Day 2017 was the Echo Dot. Outside of Amazon devices, the company noted record sales of the InstantPot DUO80 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker and the 23andMe DNA Test Kit. The e-tailer also sold a record 3.5 million toys. Shoppers ain’t playing.
Certain categories consistently see discounts during Prime Day. So with that in mind, below are the items we’re placing bargain bets on:
- Echo devices
- Smart home devices
Amazon has noted that Whole Foods will have exclusive in-store deals. This will be the first year that Prime Day takes place with Whole Foods as part of the Amazon family. What I know so far is that between July 11 and 17, shoppers who make a purchase of $10 or more will get a $10 credit on their Amazon account to use on Prime Day deals.
Also, between July 14 and 17, customers who use the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card in a Whole Foods store can get 10 percent back. That applies to purchases up to $400. Anyone utilizing the Prime Now delivery system to get groceries delivered for the first time can get $10 off their order.
For your reference, Tom’s Guide created a list of the lowest prices to date on Amazon devices, “so when you see these items on sale on Prime Day, you’ll know whether it’s a decent price drop or a deal worth skipping.”
- Echo Dot: $29.99
- Echo: $79.99
- Tap: $79.99
- Cloud Cam: $99.99
- Echo Spot: $103.99
- Echo Plus: $119.99
- Echo Show: $149.99
- Fire TV Stick: $24.99
- Fire TV with 4K: $44.99
- Fire 7: $29.99
- Fire HD 8: $49.99
What’s New for Amazon Prime Day in 2018?
- Even More Time to Shop: Prime Day starts at 3 p.m. ET on July 16 and lasts through July 17, giving Prime members six more hours to shop this year.
- A 10% In-Store Discount at Whole Foods: Earn 10% back (up to a total of $400) in purchases at Whole Foods between July 14 and July 17. You must be a Prime member and have the Amazon Rewards Visa Card.
- Prime Day Launches: Several companies are launching new products on Prime Day, Amazon says. This includes a Fingerlings unicorn doll with light-up horns and a Delta kitchen faucet that can be turned on through Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant.
- Amazon Assistant $5 Off: Install Amazon Assistant and get $5 off your Prime Day purchase of $25 or more.
- A $5 Discount Through Camera Search: Try Camera features within the app to unlock a $5 Prime Day discount. Features include AR view, Product Camera Search, Barcode Scanner and package X-ray.
Tips for Successful Amazon Prime Day Shopping
To really make the most of your Prime Day shopping, take advice from our Shopping & Trends Editor, Sara Skirboll. She shares her tips below.
- Be ready when the festivities begin and check back often. Amazon Prime Day’s best bargains are available in limited quantities. As a Prime member, you’ll get advance notice, but if it’s one of those 4K big-screen TVs you’re after or a Nintendo Switch, be ready to pounce before they’re all gone.
- Shop with your Alexa-powered device if you have one, so you can take advantage of Alexa-exclusive deals. Last year, Amazon offered several Alexa-only Prime Day deals, and this year, Amazon is already flaunting pre–Prime Day prizes, including a Lexus ES, $50,000 in cash and trip for two to Seattle.
- Download the Amazon app to get a sneak peek at deals a week in advance. Add the items you like to your list (here’s how), and you’ll receive an alert when they go on sale. Bonus: You’ll get $10 when you download and sign in to the Amazon app for the first time.
- Create your own wish list. Amazon will notify you if any of the items you’re coveting become Prime Day deals.
- Keep Lightning Deals on your radar. These super-limited offers are the best-of-the-best and never last long. Last year, to qualify as a lightning deal, a product had to be at least 20% off its list price. Once you put a lightning deal in your cart, you only have about 15 minutes to transact.
- If what you’re looking for isn’t on sale, check out other retailers. Many are offering their own Black Friday in July sales.
- Consider getting the Amazon Prime credit card. You’ll immediately get a $70 gift card and 5% back on all Amazon purchases.
- If you are an Amazon seller, prepare for increased collateral activity by having stock in supply and an awareness of what consumers are looking for when they shop Amazon Prime Day.
More Useful Tools to Prep You for Amazon Prime Day
The Amazon Prime Day page will be updated as the event draws closer. Check it regularly for new product and protocol announcements. Also keep checking back here. We will update this post as we get more insider details on the event.
- Amazon Assistant is a browser extension that allows shoppers to see related items while browsing on Amazon.com or Google.com.
- Keepa is a free Amazon price tracker that gives shoppers a quick understanding about how the price of the product has changed over time.
- The Amazon app is available for free download and can be useful for jumping on bargains as soon as they are listed.
- The Tracker app monitors prices for many of the big retailers, including Amazon. It’s free for iOS and Android mobile devices.
A Look Back at Our Favorite Deals From 2017
Every day leading up to Prime Day 2017, Amazon unleashed new deals. Below were many of our favorites.
- USA Made Bath Bombs Kit (67% OFF!): Perfect for a gift or a girl’s night in!
- MIRA Double Walled Tea & Coffee French Press (58% OFF!): One of the best deals for your caffeine fix
- Crock-Pot 6 QT Programmable Slow Cooker (47% OFF!): Easy to cook with and easy to carry!
- Fitbit Blaze Smart Fitness Watch ($60 OFF!): Because you know you’ve always wanted one
- Paderno World Cuisine Vegetable Spiral Slicer ($22.95): For your new vegan friend you’re learning how to cook for…
- iRobot Roomba Robotic Vacuum Cleaner (save $125!)
- Echo Dot + Sony Portable Wireless Speaker Bundle ($40 OFF!)
- Backseat Organizer for Kids (75% OFF!): Traveling with kids this upcoming back-to-school season? Check out this trending deal!
- Instant Pot for $89.99, originally $129.99
- Amazon Music Unlimited: Prime members who haven’t yet tried Amazon Music Unlimited can get the best deal in Amazon Music history: Four months of the full catalog on-demand service with access to tens of millions of songs for just 99 cents.
- Alexa-Exclusive Deals: Shoppers who use Alexa have access to 100 exclusive deals. The Alexa deals that will run until July 17 are:
- Save $50 on Bose Soundlink Bluetooth speaker III – say, “Alexa, order Bose Soundlink three.”
- Save $20 on Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus 2nd Generation – works with Alexa – say, “Alexa, order Philips Lightstrip Plus.”
- Save $7 on Wemo Mini smart plug – say, “Alexa, order Wemo Mini Smart Plug.”
- Save $6 on Greenies dog treats, original flavor, 27 oz. – say, “Alexa, order Greenies dog treats.”
- Save 50% on Wickedly Prime Sweet n’ Cheesy Popcorn Mix – say, “Alexa, order Sweet and Cheesy Popcorn.”
- Save 35% on Haribo Gummi Bear 12-pack – say, “Alexa, order Haribo Gummi Bears.”
- Save 30% on Squatty Potty – say, “Alexa, order Squatty Potty
- 50% off the Amazon Echo ($89.99)
- $15 off an Echo Dot ($34.99)
- $30 off Kindle Paperwhite ($89.99)
- $40 off Fire HD 8 Kids Edition ($89.99)
- Fire 7 for only $29.99
- Up to 70% off Samsonite two-piece spinner sets
- August Smart Lock ($50 off)
- 40% to 50% off Prime Exclusive clothing, handbags and more
- 25% off summer essentials, including Halo Top ice cream, LaCroix sparkling water as well as up to 30% off select wine, beer and spirits
- Prime Video: Get $10 to shop on Amazon on or before Prime Day when you stream a video included in Prime for the first time on your TV.
- Kindle Unlimited: Prime members can save up to 40% on a Kindle Unlimited membership.
- Audible: Enjoy the world’s largest library of audiobooks plus original audio programming from Audible for 40% off your first six months ($8.95 per month for six months).
- Newly released Element 55-inch 4K Ultra HD smart LED TV – Amazon Fire TV Edition, only $399.99
- 25% off select TCL smart TVs, starting at $119.99 for a 28-inch
- 32-inch 720p TCL TV, only $99.99
- 40-inch 1080p TCL TV, only $199.99
- 55-inch premium brand 4K smart LED TV, only $599.99
- Get 15% back on select Samsung TVs, audio and more on Prime Day with an Amazon Prime credit card
- Everyday Essentials: Prime members can save up to 35% off with coupons on select food and household items in Prime Pantry. You can also get up to 50% off Wickedly Prime and Happy Belly products.