School supplies can be so blah—yellow pencils, white paper, plain notebooks—but they don’t have to be. These 12 classroom must-haves playfully tweak the same old, same old, making for fun desks and happy students.
1. Give them a nerdy way to carry their supplies. The Tech Me Away Pouch Set ($19.99 at ModCloth) comes with four zippered bags in the shape of a protractor, circuit board, floppy disk and an equation-covered piece of paper. The teacher’s pet won’t be able to contain his jealousy.
2. They’ll get a shot of cheer while studying for algebra tests with these Rainbow Highlighters ($12.99 at Perpetual Kid).
3. Taking notes is a bore. But the retro-tastic Block Notes Sticky Notes ($13.99 at Stupid.com) resembles a game of Tetris and will have kids looking for reasons to write daily reminders to stick on their books, folders and unsuspecting friends.
4. Don’t let this cute-looking guy fool you. The Whale Stapler ($24 at UncommonGoods) can staple up to 16 pages together.
5. Stow pencils, crayons and paperclips in a fuzzy case ($3.99 at Yoobi) that’s as soft as it is colorful. For every item purchased from Yoobi, the company donates an item to a U.S. classroom in need.
6. They’ll undoubtedly make a mistake on their homework, so give them a fun way to erase their problems. These Pretzel Erasers (4-pack for $1.99 at Yoobi) can be twisted in all sorts of ways and come in yummy-looking colors—just make sure no one tries to eat them!
7. The cafeteria offerings have nothing on this 8GB Sushi Shape Flash Drive ($7 at Newegg.com). Refrigeration not necessary.
8. Perhaps they’ll get extra points if they hand in their assignments held together with these seriously cool Moustache Paper Clips ($3.99 at The Container Store)?
9. Fans of Pendleton Ward’s cult hit will geek out over the Adventure Time Creative Activity Tin ($7.99 at ThinkGeek), which comes with two pencils, two erasers (one Jake, one Finn) and a sheet of stickers.
10. What student wouldn’t want to bust out glue sticks (5-pack for $6.50 from Etsy seller ACreativeInspiration) with a raw pork chop, diamond sword or carrot on them? Face it. Your kids are stuck on Minecraft anyway!
11. Eye-popping in color and style, the Spiketus Rex Mighty Bite ($15 at MadPax) protects gear and lets students stand out from the crowd.
12. The DIY Calculator ($11.99 at Stupid.com) gives them an excuse to doodle in class and customize their very own math machine. Note: They will have to draw the numbers in their correct places in order to use the calculator, but otherwise, they can let their imaginations run free!
13. Ouch! Maybe these Nose Pencil Sharpeners ($6 at Oriental Trading) will keep the kids from picking their schnoz. Just slip a pencil up a nostril and twist.
14. And don’t forget the pencils. The Beatles 1964 Collection Pencil Set (8-pack for $8.99 at Galison) will ensure a hard day’s write.
Perpetual Kid: Get a free gift when you spend $25 or more.
Urban Outfitters: Enjoy free shipping on $50 or more.
ThinkGeek: Through July 31, take $10 off $50 sitewide.
ModCloth: Save $20 off $100 or more.
Lillian Vernon: Through July 31, get an extra 25% off $49 or more.
Galison: Knock 20% off your first order.
Oriental Trading: Get free standard shipping on any order over $49.