National Donut Day is coming! This fried, tasty treat is loved by people around the world, and this June 2, you can celebrate the goodness with free donuts at several local and national donut chains. Fun fact: More than 10 billion donuts are made in the U.S. each year. So in honor of this deliciously popular food, here’s some background on the origins of Donut Day as well as how you can celebrate outside of the house and in the kitchen.
A Little Background on National Donut Day
- The Salvation Army started National Donut Day in 1938. The day pays tribute to the “donut lassies,” which were female Salvation Army volunteers who provided the treats to soldiers on the front lines during World War I as a morale booster.
- With restricted resources, these treats were fried—seven at a time. The lassies fried the donuts in soldiers’ helmets.
- Today, The Salvation Army still plays an active role in supporting Donut Day. The organization asks for a donation or help with volunteering. This assists with food pantries, meals on wheels, senior citizen feeding programs and childcare nutrition programs.
National Donut Day Deals and Freebies 2017
- Krispy Kreme is giving customers a free donut of their choice on June 2.
- Dunkin’ Donuts gave away a free donut with a purchase of any beverage last year. So far this year, Dunkin’ is promoting a themed emoji keyboard. You must download the Dunkin’ Donuts app to get access to it.
- Entenmann’s Bakery is doing a National Donut Day giveaway in which winners get free donuts for a year. A dollar for each entry will be donated to Feeding America for up to $10,000. Entenmann’s also is giving away free donuts at its Times Square location on National Donut Day between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- LaMar’s is giving customers a free donut when they print and show this “golden ticket” on June 2.
- Shipley Do-Nuts: Stop by a participating location on June 2 from 5 a.m. to 12 p.m. to receive one free glazed donut with your purchase!
- Honey Dew Donuts: On June 2, get the ultimate treat—a FREE Coco Loco Donut with any medium beverage purchase. (Participation may vary. Limit one per purchase).
- Tim Horton’s: Get a free donut with the purchase of a hot or iced coffee.
- Duck Donuts: On National Donut Day, enjoy a free donut of your choice with any purchase. Additionally, receipts printed on June 2 will feature an exclusive BOGO coupon for a “Buy One Get One Free 1/2 Dozen” redeemable Monday through Wednesday until Aug. 31.
- Bonus: We have Krispy Kreme discount gift cards for up to 13% off! Buy one before you head to the local donut shop, and you could save on treats for all of your friends, co-workers or family.
DIY Donut Recipes
If your craving for doughnuts has reached Homer Simpson levels, throw your willpower out the window with one of these DIY doughnut recipes:
Glazed Yeast Donuts from Baker Bettie
Photo: Baker Bettie
Fry these in the Breville Smart Fryer ($129.95 at Williams-Sonoma), which has a convenient “doughnut” setting, to create a dozen doughy pillows that you can top with anything your rapidly beating heart desires.
Homer Simpson D’oh-nut from Pepper.ph
Mmm … doughnuts. These Lard Lad replicas are baked in a Doughnut Pan ($10.95 at Crate & Barrel), which makes them healthier easier to prepare than the traditional fried doughnuts.
Maple Bacon Donuts from Oven Love
Photo: Oven Love
Bacon makes everything better. (Sorry, vegetarians, but you can’t argue with science.) These sweet, salty rings of perfection are made with coconut flour ($5.25 at Vitacost) and are free of gluten, grains and refined sugar.
Cake Mix Donuts from It’s Always Autumn
Photo: It’s Always Autumn
Start with your favorite boxed cake mix (Funfetti, obviously) and this Mini Donut Maker ($17.53 at Walmart), and you can make two dozen wee treats in about 15 minutes.
Sugared Donut from Table for Two
Photo: Table for Two
For the culinary challenged or those of us who ain’t got time for that, here’s a dangerously easy way to make doughnuts at home. You’ll just need a Donut Cutter ($8.95 at Willliams-Sonoma) and a tube of Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits—yes, really.
DIY Donut Crafts
Doughnut Bath Bombs
From: North Atlantic Books
A doughnut-themed bath bomb? These are so pretty that we would be hesitant to use them.
DIY Felt Doughnut Collar Tutorial
From: Wrapped Up in Rainbows
Amazing concept. This would be a seriously cool gift to give to any doughnut-loving friend.
DIY Doughnut Sunglasses
From: Studio DIY
All this craft requires are nail polish, toothpicks and some round sunglasses. Sweet!
From: Little Things Blogged
These are sew sweet.
While you’re here, take our donut quiz to find out which donut matches your personality!