If you’re obsessed with Starbucks a whole latte, you know all that coffee adds up. But whether you visit every day or once a month, there’s no reason to pay full price. Utilizing just one easy savings trick will make your bank account happy over time.
Here are the top ways to save money when you grab your next Starbucks drink
1. Sign up for Starbucks Rewards. Opt into Starbucks Rewards (registration is free) for a free drink or food item on your birthday and a 15% off coupon valid for 30 days after your birthday. If you earn 300 stars in a year, you hit Gold Level in which drinks come faster.
Earn even more stars by going to Starbucks on monthly “Double-Star Days” (four stars per $1 spent) or through personalized offers, such as “Star Dashes”—be sure to opt into email to receive these offers. You can also earn stars when you purchase qualifying Starbucks products in your grocery store.
2. Tap into free refills. Is one cup of coffee ever enough? When you use your registered Starbucks Card or Starbucks app to purchase any handcrafted beverage and then present that same Starbucks Card or mobile app, you get free refills of brewed coffee (hot, iced or cold brew) and tea (hot or iced) during the same store visit regardless of the original beverage. Note: If you don’t have a Starbucks Card, you can get coffee refills for 50 cents with your purchase.
3. Enjoy $2 iced lattes. Order a triple espresso over ice in a venti cup, and then fill your cup with milk over in the condiment area. That’s one cheap iced latte!
4. Use discount gift cards. If you know you’re going to spend the money anyway, why not save some cash along the way? Get a Starbucks discount gift card, and you’ll save up to 8%. These cards are a great budget hack even when Starbucks isn’t offering a promo code. Plus, you can use discount gift cards online and in-store with no expiration date or exclusions.
5. BYOC (bring your own cup). Bringing in your own tumbler or mug will earn you 10 cents off your order. If you grab a drink every day, that’s about $36.50 per year in savings, plus the satisfaction of 365 less cups per year in your local landfill.
6. Split a venti with a friend. When getting an iced drink, a tall size is 12 ounces, while an iced venti is 24 ounces. Splitting a bigger size can get you just as much drink for less.
7. Cut out the ice. Ice in a drink takes up way too much space. You’re paying for your drink—not for ice—so ask for light ice. If you still want the full amount of ice, ask for it on the side, and order your drink in a larger cup.
8. Switch from frapps to iced. Frappuccinos are great, but they’re also more expensive. An iced coffee like a white chocolate mocha or caramel macchiato tastes blissful and will save you about $1—and some unnecessary calories and sugar.
9. Don’t buy the bottled water. The bottles of water at Starbucks are a total trap. You can get a cup of ice water with a lid in any size for free. All you have to do is ask.
10. Ask for no water with your tea. Get more caffeine for your buck by requesting no water with your tea.
11. Buy tea, hot chocolate or lemonade to get your sugar rush for less. If you don’t need the caffeine and just want something sweet to sip on, don’t get your usual caffeinated drink. There are cheaper options like teas, hot chocolates and lemonades that can save a buck and still satisfy your sweet tooth.
12. Order a short. Tall isn’t the smallest size. Get a short, which is less expensive and contains the same amount of espresso as a tall, just less milk.
13. Know your caffeine content. If you just have to get your caffeine fix ASAP, know how much is really in your drink before you upgrade to the largest cup Starbucks will give you. A lot of drinks—mainly mochas, lattes and macchiatos—have the same caffeine content (two shots) in the grande and venti size or in short and tall size (one shot). Check out this caffeine guide, and look at your favorite drinks because odds are a larger size is only slowing down how fast you drink your caffeine and costing more money.
14. Treat your furry pals, too. Order a puppy latte or puppuccino, and your pet gets a sample cup of whipped cream for free.
You Might Also Like:
12 Secret Menu Items You Never Knew Existed
11 Tips for Saving Money at Toys R Us
16 Ways to Save Big at West Elm