Summer was far too short, but since fall is already here, let’s embrace it by giving our homes an autumn makeover. All you need are a few key pieces adorned in rich oranges, browns and reds to give your room a fall touch.
1. It’s kind of 1970’s, but nothing says “fall” more than Decorative Indian Corn ($7.99 at Curious Country Creations). Hang some on your front door and then forget about it. It can stay there through Thanksgiving.
2. These Gold Mercury Votive Holders ($8 each at West Elm) will add a warm glow—and a little bit of bling—to any room.
3. You can serve anything on this pretty Leaf Salad Plate ($12.95 at Pier 1 Imports). It would also make a nice hostess gift along with some homemade sugar cookies.
4. The lovely limited-edition Autumn Splendor Collection Ripe Currant ($15.99 at Yankee Candle) is great for any room in the house where you like fragrance.
5. The neutral wheat color of this table runner ($17.99 at Target) will go with most anything and still signifies fall.
6. For chilly nights, what’s nicer than a Chevron Knitted Throw ($19.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond)?
1. Grab a cluster of vases and perch them on your mantel. Feature a smorgasbord of colors, like these Hive Vases ($24–$34 each at West Elm) in red, yellow, green and white, or go minimalist and rustic with these Log Vases ($19–$29 at West Elm).
2. Fill a classic Water Lily Bowl ($24.95 at Crate & Barrel) with something seasonally appropriate (apples, small pumpkins, pinecones, etc.), and you’ve got a simple, elegant centerpiece.
3. Plaid is so right for this time of year. Update your couch with this Harvest Plaid Pillow Cover ($29.50 at Pottery Barn).
4. Liven up your living room with a few bright autumn-hue pillows. Crate & Barrel has a new line of Eyelash Pillows ($29.95 each) in two-tone colors (yellow and teal, orange and wine, lake and gray, etc.) that will instantly transform your sofa.
1. These Pine Needle + Clay Vases ($29.99–$39.99 at West Elm) have such a gorgeous, eye-catching color, particularly when filled with bright red berries.
2. This Orian Gumball Fleece Runner ($39 at Walmart) can make a big impact in an entryway or main hallway.
3. This Threshold Woven Pouf ($49.99 at Target) is a nice way to tie together a sitting area. Use the colorful piece as a footrest, end table or accent piece.
1. A rug can dramatically change the feel of a space, making it warmer or colder, darker or brighter. The geometric patterns of the Quincy Kilim Rug (2 x 3′ for $50 at Pottery Barn) will lend a modern feel while also infusing some fall flavor.
2. Earlier nightfall may be one of the less enjoyable things about the end of summer, so focus on indoor lighting that casts a soft, cozy glow. The Small Glass Table Lamp ($65 JCPenney) is perfect for warming up a room.
3. Don’t be shy about your centerpiece. It should be bold. The Loki Bowl ($69.95 at Crate & Barrel), with its hand-shaped and hammered brass, has a unique yet clean look with an iridescent sheen on the surface.
$85 AND UP
1. Fall wreaths don’t have to be a bunch of pinecones. Door decor can be more chic than that. These handmade fall-inspired wreaths ($85 from Etsy seller TwoInspireYou) are elegant, simple and come in a variety of autumnal color combinations, from faux hydrangea and artificial berries to boxwood and more.
2. The Mia Table Lamp ($129 at West Elm) has a paprika-color base that’s eye-catching and modern, while the cream-color lampshade helps exude warmth.
Target: Save $5 off $50.
Crate & Barrel: For a limited time, get $4.95 flat-fee shipping.
West Elm: Through December 31, enjoy free shipping on all purchases.
Bed Bath & Beyond: Get 10% off your order when you sign up for emails.
Yankee Candle: Through September 29, buy two and get two free on all small candles.
Curious Country Creations: Get free shipping on $99 or more.
JCPenney: Take 10% off your purchase.
Like the blog or have suggestions? We’d love to know what you think of The Real Deal! Email our editor at firstname.lastname@example.org or take our Real Deal Survey for a chance to win $100!